Norton Water Tower
Norton Water Tower is a Grade II listed building that was built between 1888 and 1892. It is 30 metres (98 ft) tall and has a diameter of 25 metres (82 ft). The tower is constructed from red sandstone and has a cast iron tank with a capacity of 650,000 gallons.
|Norton Water Tower / Public Domain|
The tower was designed by George F. Deacon, the Chief Engineer of the Liverpool Corporation Waterworks Department. It was built as a balancing reservoir on the water pipeline between Lake Vyrnwy in North Wales and Liverpool. The tower is still in use today and is owned and operated by United Utilities. Norton Water Tower is a prominent landmark in the Runcorn area and can be seen from many miles around. It is a popular spot for walkers and cyclists, and there is a public footpath that leads to the base of the tower. The tower is also a popular location for photographers, as it offers panoramic views of the town and surrounding countryside.